Skip to content

Challenge

February 28, 2011

Hi all! I’m back once again, this time I have a challenge for you! First, you may notice that I’ve done a little redesign to the blog. I hope you all like it, and find it is still pretty easy to get around these posts. The header is from the daffodil card I made last year, the photo seems to have gotten lost when I made the changes. Sigh.

For the past few weeks I have been practicing with the hockey stick. You know that funny looking tool that many of us bought because it looked so cool but had no idea how to use it! At the time I bought my hockey stick, all of my boys were playing ice hockey and being the ultimate hockey mom, I could not pass up any thing with the word hockey in it. I have read several tutorials on using the hockey stick, one most recently by Josie Davidson in the December  issue of Parchment Craft magazine.

Well, one thing lead to another and in my attempts to get control of using the hockey stick, I found this rooster (at least I think it’s a rooster) in a book I had, that was part of a larger pattern.

This is a jpeg image, and I have left it alone so that you can play with the size (right click on the image and select “save as” before you play with the size and print it out).

Here is a completed rooster, embossing done completely with the hockey stick. It’s a horrible rainy day, and this is the clearest picture I could get. I chose to cut out the rooster after embossing it.

So, how do we work with the hockey stick?

The simple answer is to hold the tool like you would a hold any of your ball tools. When embossing a large (largish) area, such as a petal, or in the case of our rooster, the feathers, the curved part is flat on the parchment paper. Begin stroking as you would with your ball tool. The biggest difference between using the hockey stick and a ball tool is that on the first few strokes, you will barely see any changes to the paper. But, keep at it, and you will notice the paper starting to stretch and change to white.

You can also use the hockey stick for fine lines — turn it around so that the tip of the hockey stick is touching the parchment paper and make your lines.

Now that I have given you a brief overview of working with the hockey stick, lets see what you can do with it! Once you have finished your hockey stick project, don’t forget to send it to me so that I can put it up in the Readers Gallery. Good Luck!

Update: We have our first completed Bird Challenge, submitted by Barbara Hilary-Taylor.

About these ads
7 Comments
  1. February 28, 2011 6:19 pm

Great to have you posting again, C, and I very much like the new theme and format…..and some changes to your sidebar too, I see!!

Ah ha, let’s see, where or where is my hockey stick….lol Oh yes, there it is….over there amongst the tools I rarely use. Okie dokie, a new challenge is on so I guess I need to dust of the dust on the tool and get with the program…..always loooooove a challenge :))

2. brenda freeman permalink
    February 28, 2011 8:43 pm

I would like to learn to do parchment craft!
    I have been looking for kits!
    do you sell the kits?
    From:Brenda Freeman

• February 28, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi Brenda, and welcome! I don’t sell parchment craft supplies, however on the front page, scroll down and there are a number of suppliers listed on the sidebar (on the right hand side of the page).

I originally started with the starter kit, and was a bit disappointed — a few things but not enough tools to complete the patterns in the pattern books I had also bought. I think had I bought some of the tools, parchment paper and the pattern books I wouldn’t have been disappointed. But, to each their own, that was just my experience.

Just in case, the tools I would suggest for a starter are: 1-needle; 2-needle, and 4-needle, and the full range of embossing ball tools.

Any brand of pencils and inks can be used, but when you get to painting the Pergamano brand of paints are the best — they have the glossy look when dried and also stretch with the paper.

I hope that helps!

3. dorita permalink
    March 1, 2011 2:58 am

Hi Chiara!
    Congratulations for the new design of the blog. I like it very much. The daffodil is beautiful and matches the page lovely.
    Thank you for the rooster pattern, nice way to practice with the hockey tool.
    I have a quiestion: how can I reset my username and password? I cannot remember them…LOL

• March 1, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks, Dorita. I’m not sure about resetting the username and password, I tried to make sure that commenters wouldn’t need to register (at least I thought that’s how I set it up). I would imagine that there is a link to have your password emailed to you if you’ve forgotten it. Please let me know if there isn’t, and I’ll go see what information wordpress has to fix that.

4. brenda freeman permalink
    March 1, 2011 10:53 am

I so much appreciate it!

5. dorita permalink
    March 1, 2011 3:35 pm

You are right, I can comment straight away… LOL
    Thank you, Chiara.
    Good night

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 249 other followers