Skip to content

Projects: Lampshade

July 12, 2010
lampshade3

Hi gals! I’m back again with another project. This time I made a lampshade for a dear friend who is getting married later this month. (Still have to make the wedding card!)  I got the idea of a small tea lamp as a gift from Jerri’s Bridal Collection.

The pattern I used was Pergmano’s M23/1. I chose to use the Pergamano Ice Blue fantasy paper, as blue is the favorite color of the bride, and for this occasion I didn’t want the dark blue paper for the shade. The borders were traced with tinta gold and the design motifs were traced with pearlescent pearl with a tiny, tiny bit of fuchsia mixed in. I did have a bit of trouble getting the pearlecent/fuchsia mixture to flow well off the pen nib, even after lightly touching the tip of the nib to water, and so my tracing is a bit thicker than I would like on the design motifs.

This was one of those projects in which I was able to use one of my multi-needle tools that I rarely get to use. That is the heart shape needle tool.

In the picture on your right, you can see I used a taller wine glass so that I could show you the flamless (battery operated) votive candle used for the tea lamp. I have several wine glasses that this shade will fit, but I haven’t yet decided which one to use. I’m sure I”ll change my mind several times in the next two weeks! I think that is the hardest part of this project! At the moment, I am leaning towards using the smaller wine glass.

I did try to get a decent picture of the tea lamp with the flameless light on, as it is really pretty. But that just wasn’t to be with my camera. You will just have to believe me when I say that the lampshade has a beautiful softness to it when the light is on.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you all have a fabulous week!

About these ads
11 Comments
  1. July 12, 2010 6:10 am

Beautiful C!! Will you be making more of these of just the one for the bride?

2. Mary Price permalink
    July 12, 2010 6:25 am

Great idea for a gift and it will look lovely on the table. Perhaps a matching one for the groom? I’ve done a couple of lampshades before and bought some battery operated colour changing tealights for them. They look really good for Christmas.

• cepet permalink
      July 12, 2010 7:15 am

Mary, yes, the more I looked at the lamp the more I thought it needed a friend.
      I’m not sure why I haven’t done any lampshades in the past, or why I was afraid to make them, but I can see how pretty they would be for occasions like Christmas, and they really aren’t that difficult.

3. dorita permalink
    July 12, 2010 3:13 pm

Beautiful indeed! I’m planning to do one for ages and for some reason I don’t get to it. I even already purchased a beautiful candle stand for her…

• cepet permalink
      July 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Dorita, you should work on your lampshade! I bet you can do a design that doesn’t need much embossing so it won’t hurt your hand while you are working.

4. July 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Chiara, it’s beautiful, absolutely stunning! I’m sorry I didn’t comment sooner. I’ve been visiting my parents and they live in an area where cable isn’t offered. They do have dial up, but it was off and on working while I was there.

The bride will be thrilled to receive your gorgeous lampshade. I have done two shades in parchment craft: http://jerrikay.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/files/2010/03/jr-march-blog-hop-020-copy.jpg. It was my first attempt and made about two months after I first started parchment craft, there is a bit of a wave in the area that I used the grid. I need a lot more practice, but overall I was happy with my first attempt. I’ve fallen in love with making lamp shades and plan to make many more.

• cepet permalink
      July 14, 2010 7:52 am

Jerri, your lampshade is wonderful! I’m not sure why I was leery about making lampshades for all these years, but they are quite easy to do, a lot of fun, and a great project for a gift. Thanks for sharing yours! Hope you had a fantastic visit with your parents.

5. July 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Gorgeous work! I’m sure it’s spectacular all lit up!

6. Nelly permalink
    July 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Dear Chiara,
    Your lampshape is wonderful. I know how nice it is to make those little treasures. I have a little ( 3 persones) group of low mentional people……….since the beginning of this year, and I made a little lampshade with them as a finishing the course this Spring. They all three were in the seventh heaven when they finish their lampshades and now I have to go to them ( I promissed) to have a nice coffee and to put the shades together and put the diamonds on it………….because they were not that far at the last lesson, so I told them I will come by bike to them and help them to fix it.
    I have to do it this week or the next one, because other wise it will takes too long…………keep your fingers crossed for nice weather………..
    Can I show you the lampshades they made??
    Love, Nelly

• cepet permalink
      July 19, 2010 12:34 am

Nelly, yes, please pass it on. I’ve been trying to set up a gallery for works by readers here. Still trying to work out a few “bugs” with it, but hope to have it done soon.

Trackbacks

1. Cards: Wedding « Art of Parchment Craft

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 249 other followers